As we inch closer and closer to summer’s arrival, it’s impossible not to become enlivened at the thought of attending the ultra-popular, long-awaited Hudson Valley Hot Air Balloon Festival in New York’s picturesque Dutchess County. This annual Hudson Valley gathering is surging ahead toward its 29th rendition. It remains one of the most alluring events for returning guests here at Beekman Arms & Delamater Inn, “the oldest inn in America.” Beekman Arms, in particular, was established in 1766. Thus, it remains a long-lasting Dutchess County staple. Every July, in the golden days that follow the celebration of our nation’s independence, tens of thousands of people congregate in the rolling hillside along the north edge of peaceful Rhinebeck, NY, to observe over 100 vibrant, uniquely-designed hot air balloons drift through the early-evening, mid-summer sky.
Reasons to Visit the Hudson Valley Hot Air Balloon Festival
The Hudson Valley Hot Air Balloon Festival has evolved into the region’s premier annual event. In fact, it remains one of the most popular balloon festivals in North America. There’s something for every type of observer at this visually-striking, smile-inducing fest, including live performances, tethered hot air balloon rides, and countless family-friendly lawn games. To ensure that your upcoming visit to Rhinebeck is nothing short of spectacular, we’ve compiled 10 reasons to visit the Hudson Valley Hot Air Balloon Festival.
- $20 tethered hot air balloon rides
- The dusk “Balloon Glow,” where the flames collectively illuminate the night’s sky
- Those classic festival eats, local dishes, and head-turning yet edible concoctions
- Helicopter rides atop the festival grounds
- Local craft beverages, such as beer, wine, and even spirits
- Live music from the likes of the Roadhouse Roosters, Downpour, and Lucky House
- Countless carnival-style games, as well as hayrides, slides, and obstacle courses
- Twelve family-friendly lawn games, including cornhole, KanJam, and bocce ball
- Meet the pilots of each hot air balloon during a poster autograph session
- All aboard the Roaming Railroad!
Historic, Elegant Rhinebeck Hotels
The perfect place to start and finish each full day of balloons, eats, and games is right here at Beekman Arms, the top-rated Hudson Valley hotel. We boast an array of sophisticated on-site amenities, such as fine dining, historical suites, and in-room spa services. Please don’t hesitate to visit us online, or call 845-876-7077 to learn more about our breathtaking estates.
As of May 8, 2020, the 29th annual Hudson Valley Hot Air Balloon Festival in New York is still in the works. Should it be postponed or, sadly, canceled, there’s no doubt that we’ll all gather again in July of 2021 and many more summers to come. If the festival is canceled, remember that region remains a heavenly escape for couples and adventurers alike. Please visit the festival’s Facebook page often for updates.